Sunday, March 2, 2008

Fickle

Back in January, I started the job search. Since I had decided to return to the states next year, I figured it was time to get all my paper work in order. I started looking at different school districts in Virginia, pay, SOL scores, demographics of students, affordable housing in the different areas. I was looking at the application procedure for Virginia Beach Schools and was distressed to read that "grade point averages, student teaching evaluations, references, and interview ratings are used to form a pool of qualified applicants. " Grade point averages? I have been teaching for eight years and they want to look at my GPA? Depressing.

No job vacancies were listed that early so I decided to start updating my resume. Only problem was I couldn't find my resume. Ugh. And where are my Praxis scores? Who do I have to ask for reference letters from again?

I am not ready package, polish, and sell myself again.

In the end, I changed my mind again. I figured I can suffer through administration for another year. It will look better on my resume to have a three year stint instead of a two year stint at a school. And besides, it could always be worse at the next place. At my current school, at least teachers are given much freedom in regards to what they teach and how they teach. I don't know how I would do with a prescribed way of teaching. So, I am staying after all. Over the summer, I will get my ducks in a row so that I can start the search for another international school for the 2009-2010 school year.

What this means is more cheap shopping, pedicures, massages, island holidays, and more travel! Sunny will be in Venezuela next year...I might have to meet her in Trinidad.

No comments: